This reminder troopers with the Indiana State Police Jasper Post will be conducting a sobriety check point at an undisclosed location in Dubois County this evening.
Police say drivers passing through the check point area should have their licenses and registrations ready to present to troopers, and will only be detained briefly while troopers determine whether any further investigation is necessary.
The purpose of the sobriety check point is to remove motorists from the highways who are alcohol and or drug impaired and poses a danger to all who use the roadways. State Police say impaired drivers are responsible for billions of dollars in property damage, personal injury, and death each year.
Reminders so motorists do not find themselves “Over the Limit and Under Arrest” include:
• Plan ahead and always designate a sober driver before consuming alcohol.
• Don’t drive your vehicle if you’ve been drinking alcohol. Call a sober friend.
• Take care of your friends. Never let a friend drive while impaired.
• If you are hosting a party, always offer non-alcoholic beverages. Make sure all of your guests leave with a sober driver.
• And never provide alcohol to anyone under the legal drinking age of 21.
Motorists encountering another vehicle being operated erratically are encouraged to dial 911 or call the Jasper Indiana State Police Post at (812) 482-1441 or (800) 742-7475.
Be prepared to give a description of the vehicle, location, and direction of travel.