Morning Fire Along Birk Street Sends One Woman to Hospital

A morning fire reported by a US postal worker on the north side of Jasper sent one woman to the hospital.

Jasper Volunteer Fire Fighters along with the assistance of a Volunteer Ireland Fire Fighter who was nearby at the time, responded to the report of a fire at 2558 Birk Street, Jasper around 10:30 a.m. this morning.

When Jasper Volunteer Firefighters arrived they found that a passing mail carrier identified as Shane Nickelson had saw smoke coming from the home and pulled Lois Suydam from her house outside to safety.

Jasper Volunteer Fire Chief Kenny Hochesang confirmed that there were no smoke detectors in the home at the time of the fire.

Hochesang said the fire appeared to have started from the use of smoking materials and spread between a recliner and end table that were close together.

Suydam had been attached to an oxygen tank when the fire broke out.

A pet dog and cat were safely removed from the home as well.

Suydams adult son, Wade Suydam who lives at the residence, was not home at the time of the fire. Jasper Volunteer Fire Fighter personnel contacted the American Red Cross in helping Wade find temporary housing.

Estimated damage to the home is thought to be around $50,000.

Jasper Volunteer Fire Department responded with five trucks and 32 firefighters along with the assistance of the Jasper Police Department and Memorial Ambulance Services.

Be the first to comment on "Morning Fire Along Birk Street Sends One Woman to Hospital"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*