Employees of Jasper Engines & Transmissions’ main plant and corporate offices were sent out into a misty rain this morning after being evacuated as a result of a fire that broke out in a dust collection system at the facility.
Crews with the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department were called to the building located along Wernsing Road around 7:30 am.
Jasper Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang says the fire started when filters in the system began to smolder. Hochgesang says the system collects debris from nearby welding booths that uses Hex Chromium 6, a chemical he says was of concern to firefighters. Therefore, crews as a precautionary measure, donned hazardous material suits.
Hochegesang says the materials were carried outside the building where they were extinguished. He says smoke was ventilated from the building, and once they felt it was secured, employees were allowed to re-enter the facility after about a half an hour.
30 men with seven trucks were at the scene for about 50 minutes.