The Martin County Sheriff’s Office, Shoals Fire Department, and Martin County Ambulance responded to a head-on collision on State Road 450, approximately a half-a-mile south of Hickory Ridge Church on Wednesday evening that temporarily shut down the highway.
At approximately 4:25 p.m. on Wednesday, May 29th, 34-year old Valerie McCarthy, of Shoals, was traveling south on State Road 450 in a 2001 Chevy Silverado when she went left of center and struck an oncoming 2016 Ford F-150, driven by 48-year old Kevin Scott Hert Sr., of Shoals.
Upon impact, McCarthy’s vehicle stopped in the northbound lane and Hert’s vehicle came to rest off the east side of the roadway. Three passengers in Hert’s vehicle, including two minors, where transported to Daviess Community Hospital by Martin County Ambulance for treatment of injuries sustained in the crash. A fourth passenger in Hert’s vehicle was transported to Daviess Community Hospital by a family member at the scene. At the time of the accident, McCarthy had two minor children with her, one of which sustained an abrasion to her neck in the crash.
Deputy Wright transported Valerie McCarthy to the Daviess Community Hospital where she was administered a chemical test to check for the presence of substances and alcohol. The results for McCarthy’s test were positive for PCP, Methamphetamine, Opiates, Amphetamines, Benzodiazepines, and Oxycodone. McCarthy was placed under arrest and transported to the Martin County Security Center without further incident.
Investigating the accident was Martin County Deputy John Wright, who was assisted by Sheriff Travis Roush, Deputy Andrea Barnett, Deputy Cody Shinn, the Shoals Fire Department, and Martin County Ambulance.
Valerie McCarthy, age 34 was arrested for the following:
- OWI; Controlled Substances-Class C Misdemeanor
- OWI; Endangerment x 7- Class A Misdemeanor
- OWI; Prior-Level 6 Felony
- OWI; Minor Passenger X 2- Level 6 Felony
- OWI; Serious Bodily Injury x 4; With A prior conviction- Level 5 Felony x 4
- Neglect of a Dependent-Level 6 Felony
- Neglect of a Dependent- Level 5 Felony
- Possession of Controlled Substance; PCP- Schedule 1- Class A Misdemeanor
- Possession of Methamphetamine-Level 6 Felony
- Possession of Controlled Substance; Opiates- Schedule 1-Class A Misdemeanor
- Possession of Controlled Substance: Amphetamines- Schedule 2- Class A Misdemeanor
- Possession of Controlled Substance; Benzodiazepines- Schedule 4- Class A Misdemeanor
- Possession of Narcotic Drug; Oxycodone- Level 6 Felony