Latest News

Man Arrested After Single-Vehicle Crash Early Friday Morning Jasper City Hall, Street Department, and Utilities Administrative Offices Closed on July 4th for Independence Day Domestic Incident Leads to Shooting in Dubois County: Suspect Located, Victim Stable Red Cross to Host Blood Drive at Crawford County 4-H Fair Crash Causing a Power Outage on S Liberty Church Rd

The Indiana State Police and Indiana Department of Workforce Development (DWD) are reminding Hoosiers how to protect their information from identity theft.

The number of fraudulent attempts to file for unemployment insurance claims has spiked because of the coronavirus and the additional financial assistance available through federal programs such as the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.

With tax season here, Hoosiers who may have had their personal information compromised could encounter problems when filing their taxes.

If you believe you are a victim of identity theft:

-File a report with the DWD at DWD will lock the account from further use. If you need to file for benefits in the future, you will need to contact the DWD to have your account unlocked.

-File an electronic report with the Indiana State Police by filling out the form at and emailing it to If you’re currently employed, contact your employer’s human resources department so they can protest your claim with DWD.

You can also:

-File a report with the Federal Trade Commission at

-File an Identity Theft Affidavit (IRS form 14039) through

-Notify the Credit Bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion)

-The FBI also encourages victims to report fraudulent or suspicious activities to the Internet Crime Complaint Center at You can also consult for help with reporting and recovering from identity theft.

-File an identity theft complaint with the Indiana Attorney General’s Office at, or by calling (800)-382-5516.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *