Despite Burn Ban, Washington Field Catches Fire

Photo Credit: Daviess County Emergency Management Agency

In the midst of a burn ban, a field in Washington caught fire.

Late afternoon yesterday, Washington Township Fire responded to a field fire. Upon arrival, an area of corn stubble in a field was burning and was spreading due to breezy conditions.

Three firetrucks and a local farmer with a large tractor with a disc extinguished the flames quickly.

The fire was caused by someone open burning in breezy conditions.

The Daviess County Emergency Management Agency says this is why a burn ban is in place. With the dry conditions, it doesn’t take much of a spark to spread fire out of control.

While under a burn ban, all campfires, recreational fires, open burning using conventional fuel like wood or combustible matter, burning debris, and using burn barrels are all prohibited.

Charcoal from permitted grills cannot be removed until the charcoal is thoroughly extinguished.

All residents are asked to comply with these emergency measures.

Be the first to comment on "Despite Burn Ban, Washington Field Catches Fire"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*